Doylestown PA: Decorative Painting Techniques
If you want to make your home or office appealing, with a new and refreshing look, decorative painting techniques can be applied either DIY or with the help of a professional decorative painter. Decorative painting techniques, such as trompe l’oeil, stenciling, sponging, ragging, distressing, creating off effects, color-washing, graining, log-rolling, stippling, crackling effects, and polka dots, provide depth and texture to flat and dull walls. In this article, we will share the art and science of several decorative painting techniques in detailed and simple manner, to make your home or office more beautiful and comfortable.
1. Sponging involves using latex or glaze which is applied over a flat coat of paint, creating a textured wall effect. Sponging involves building up the effect slowly instead of applying a dense coat the first time, using sponges, rags, or bags dipped and well coated to create a random pattern on the wall. You can practice on a scratch paper first for less mess and mistakes.
2. Color-washing is a great decorative painting technique adding character, depth, and texture into a room. Creating a color-wash effect is done by using a translucent glaze over an opaque base paint, tin glaze with acrylic paint or water-based glazes which are available in different colors. Color-washing effects are best for the Mediterranean, Tuscan, Country or Rustic themed rooms.
3. Stenciling is a type of decorative painting technique with the use of acetate or cardboard, homemade or DIY cut or bought ready-to-use. Water-based paints are recommended for stenciling because they are user-facing and dry quickly. Create an entire mural, repeated pattern, and any other sophisticated design with stenciling such as Moroccan trellis in the master bedroom.
4. Distressing provides an illusion of age for your rustic style home or office, masking areas with glue or petroleum jelly to prevent adherence of paint. After the surface is painted and sanded, the masked areas lose their paint, providing a patchy and aged finish.
5. Rag-rolling involves using a crumpled rag, formed it into a sausage shape, and rolled down the wall, creating a subtle effect to resemble a tumbling material. Add accent or go bold with rag-rolling, which is perfect for traditional bedrooms and nursery rooms.
6. Dragging (strie) or linen weave decorative painting techniques add beauty and texture to contemporary, modern, or eclectic bedrooms. To create a linen weave or strie, just mix a glaze and satin base color, dragging the wallpaper brush over the wet glaze vertically and horizontally.
Make your home or office more beautiful and appealing with decorative painting services. Allow us to help you hire the best decorative painting, commercial painting, and faux finishing services in Doylestown, PA. Come and visit our homepage or website now!